Counter

Sunday, August 31, 2008

Another long period between posts

Sorry about the delay between posts but summer is always busy with all the kids home and all the therapies.

Ryan update - we have him scheduled for his transition evaluation on September 19th. Hopefully we will find out then whether or not the psychologist feels the need to give him the autism diagnosis. If she does, it doesn't necessarily mean he will be eligible to get therapy through the school system. If he does get the diagnosis and is eligible, I've already let the principal know that I want Logan's teacher from last year and his aide as well. That class was a wonderful haven for Logan and I know Ryan will be in very VERY good hands there. So much has changed in the past year about the eligibility requirements that I'll just have to find it all out then.

Logan update - well, school isn't going so well right now. I know it's not just the new class, new teacher and new aide. He doesn't want to get up and get going in the mornings. He's never been like this before. Some days are a lot worse then others so I'm just thankful to have a lull whenever I can get it. He's not requesting with words now and he's back into the scratching and screaming again. Now, over the summer he did a little bit of that but not like now. I've been really making him request and he will if I make him but if I don't push he just throws his bowl, plate or cup at me. Something isn't quite right so I'm going to make a surprise visit to the school to see what is going on in class this coming week.

When the principal had originally told me who the teacher and aide were at the end of last school year I said no to the aide. I was assured both had experience with Autism and all that entails. We did reach an agreement that if I wasn't happy by the third week of school that I could get a new aide. Due to the tropical storm the first week of school was a wash as they only went the Monday and Tuesday. Last week was the first full week and I can tell there is something wrong. When I went to his IEP meeting last May the teacher that was involved in the meeting really impressed me. They did tell me at that time that they were having to hire two new teachers as all the Autistic children would be moved to this school and Logan may not get her. I'm not impressed with the regression that Logan is showing so the only option is for me to go and sneak a peak to see what's happening. I plan to do that and if I see something that makes me unhappy I will be heading directly to the principal's office to make the change.

2 comments:

One proud Mommie said...

Hi Terry, Long time no chat :) Where is logan attending school? I did some observation hours at Horizon elemetary school in port orange over the summer when I was attemping to get into the field of Occupational therapy. I thought the teachers their were wonderful. All were very thoughtful and loving when it came to caring for and teaching the children. It is always good to hear from you and thank you for the words of encoragement. I hope that things go better with logan and his school. :)

Terry said...

Hi Rachel! Logan goes to Belle Terre Elementary and for the most part I LOVE that school. I just had to work out a few kinks and now things are running smoothly again. I never knew you were considering going into O.T.; you'd be very good at it!! (especially with the Peds kids)